A tired joke for sure but hey, it’s early in the week.
A friend of mine graciously donated this Old Glory ship to me when he moved back to the West Coast. I hung on to it as I have a scenario for the French and Indian War involving a docked French ship, and as Sharp Practice has rekindled my interest in the period, I decided to slap some paint on her. I do have the ship’s cannon, but as they aren’t needed for the scenario I put them away for the time being.
Took advantage of a gloomy rainy day to put the finishing touches on a Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. C for my Afrika Korps. This is the Warlord plastic kit that I received for my birthday a few years ago. Markings are from Archer and Warlord.
A few weeks ago we started our Mediterranean Bolt Action League at Huzzah. Instead of being smart and playing Americans, an army I can field with zero work, I decided to run DAK, an army I hadn’t even started.
Here are the first group of vehicles I completed. A motorcycle/sidecar combo from Warlord, a Panzer III from Rubicon and Rommel’s 250/3 Greif from Perry. The markings on the 250/3 are from Company B.
Last weekend I put the finishing touches on this die-cast German Staff Car that had been sitting around for several months in a partially finished state. It was a toy that I bought years ago when Walmart was carrying a small line of 1/48 WWII vehicles. It may be from 21st Century Toys.
I unscrewed the body from the chassis, removed the clear plastic windows, and gave it a fresh paint job as it was gray with green camouflage. I then added some new markings from Archer and Peddinghaus, and finished it of with Vallejo Premium Matt Varnish.
Last weekend also saw me sneak in another session of The Game of Kings – Chain of Command. The German support list has a nifty 4 man recon group with a 250. I wanted to field it, but didn’t have a 250 that I was particularly fond of. I did however have a 250 Neu from Blitzkrieg that was unfinished. In record turn-around time (for me) I finished this thing in about two hours, not counting drying time. Markings are from Rubicon and Archer.
This month my FLGS is starting an Eastern Front campaign for Bolt Action. I decided to loosely base my force on the 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen. Most of the vehicles in their OOB were repurposed captured equipment, so I chose an FAI Russian armored car and a Flammpanzer B2(f) – a converted French Char B1 bis – for my list. Both of these kits are from Warlord.
So this is a decent way to wrap up the year – I now have no unpainted 28mm US infantry, crew, guns or vehicles. That doesn’t mean I’m actually finished. I’d like to add in some additional vehicles, but it’s still a good personal milestone. Here’s the tally: 2 guns, 9 vehicles, 180 infantry/crew.
Tonight I put the finishing touches on a few lingering partial assemblies; an Artizan Pak38, a French civilian truck from Warlord and an eBob Miniatures Opel Blitz. All were straightforward builds and paint jobs. Not much else to report so following a short narrative, here’s a short gallery.