I have a new 28mm WWII Polish Campaign project I’m starting and I needed to clean off my workspace. This group of “stuff” has been sitting around partially finished, so I spent some time completing it. There are some pre-paints in here – some I repainted, some I lacked the motivation to update, so those were just rebased.
Tag Archives: Terrain
A few years ago my friend John asked me to be his ringer – a back up player in case of an odd number of participants – for a Bolt Action tournament he was running at either Fall In or Cold Wars…I don’t remember. Anyway I ended up playing and for my participation I was given this very cool Warlord Anti-Tank Obstacles box. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I finally finished it up. The Dragon’s Teeth are mounted on 40mm squares to make them “modular”.
A tired joke for sure but hey, it’s early in the week.
A friend of mine graciously donated this Old Glory ship to me when he moved back to the West Coast. I hung on to it as I have a scenario for the French and Indian War involving a docked French ship, and as Sharp Practice has rekindled my interest in the period, I decided to slap some paint on her. I do have the ship’s cannon, but as they aren’t needed for the scenario I put them away for the time being.
The Lardies mounted their station on a hexagonal base that was made of carved foam. Knowing how bad I am with foam work, I decided to design my base using Tinkercad and print it using my Printrbot Play. It’s hard to see in this picture, but this print has some very bad horizontal banding (for those that know anything about 3D printing it was caused by a sinusoidal heat fluctuation in the hot end) however it ended up being a happy accident as it kinda gives the effect of marks left by a concrete form.
I mounted the hex to a rectangular base and covered the horizontal surfaces with sand.
Prior to assembly, I traced the outer ring of the dish and the roof of the shack onto some card stock to use to cover the seams where some of the parts join.
Construction of the building was straight forward. Before adding the roof, I painted the interior and added a map, propaganda poster and a calendar to the walls. In hindsight this was a waste as you really can’t see into the building.
After the framework of the dish was built I added some mesh using some sort of nylon that probably came from a bag of mints from a wedding. I don’t know what it’s called, but the material is pretty common.
To complete the dish I glued some styrene strips along the interior frames and capped the outside with the trimmed card stock ring.
Before mounting the building I wanted to finish the base so I added a few things from the parts bin – a box, drum and a bicycle from Dixon.
Here are a few shots of the finished base.
And here’s the finished piece. The voltage warning signs are printed images from online, mounted on the scrap pieces that came out of the window panes and the railing is a bent paperclip (both ideas stolen from the Lardies). The steps are from Grandt Line.
This was a fun little build of a unique subject and I’m really happy with the results. I’d highly recommend the Sarissa kit if you’re in the market for an interesting objective.
I happened to have a bunch of pulpiness on the workbench that got completed around the same time, so here’s a gallery of my efforts.
Embarrassingly this is my first update in almost two months – busy Summer. At the very least I have articles to write about my trials and tribulations with 3D printing, my experiences at Historicon this year and the new direction I’m heading with my Lovecraftian convention game. All in due time loyal readers, all in due time. Meanwhile here’s a writeup about some flame wall markers I made for Malifaux.
Reaper had a booth in the vendor’s hall at Historicon and I couldn’t resist picking up a few packs of the translucent Bones figures, including their Wall of Fire. I used a tealight before to light up their Ghostly Summons, so I thought I’d try the same trick with some of these new pieces. Stand by for future illuminating posts…get it…
I started with a typical battery operated flickering tealight. After disassembling the housing, I trimmed off the high post the LED was on and then repositioned the light lower on the base to reduce the overall height.
I then took a 50mm Renedra plastic base and traced a circle slightly smaller than the diameter of the “guts” of the tealight. The inner circle was cut away and the remaining washer shape was painted black. I snapped the inner workings of the tealight into the opening and as the fit was snug enough, I opted to not use any adhesive. The bottom of the Reaper Wall of Fire was drilled out to receive the LED. Again the fit was tight enough to not require any adhesive.
To cover up the light mechanics, I hot glued some fiber fill around the perimeter. Prior to affixing it I colored it with various shades of ink. As a final touch I attached some self adhesive bumpers to act as feet. This gives enough clearance for the switch and allows it to sit level on the table.
Here’s a quick clip of it in action.
Recently Walmart Photo temporarly reduced their price on their fleece photo blankets, so I had another large one printed from a cobblestone street map I had previously purchased at Wargame Vault. My wife and I squared it up and trimmed it to 4’x6′, and while I had it out I set up a town with my Grand Manner buildings to see how it would look. Here are the results.