Aberdeen Army Ordnance Museum

Back in ’04 I stopped at the Army Ordnance Museum in Aberdeen, now relocating to Fort Lee. I’ve been migrating my photos to the cloud and stumbled on these today. The image should link to an album…should…

Aberdeen_08022004_0032-COLLAGE

 


Malifaux Flame Wall Markers

Embarrassingly this is my first update in almost two months – busy Summer. At the very least I have articles to write about my trials and tribulations with 3D printing, my experiences at Historicon this year and the new direction I’m heading with my Lovecraftian convention game. All in due time loyal readers, all in due time. Meanwhile here’s a writeup about some flame wall markers I made for Malifaux.

Reaper had a booth in the vendor’s hall at Historicon and I couldn’t resist picking up a few packs of the translucent Bones figures, including their Wall of Fire. I used a tealight before to light up their Ghostly Summons, so I thought I’d try the same trick with some of these new pieces. Stand by for future illuminating posts…get it…

I started with a typical battery operated flickering tealight. After disassembling the housing, I trimmed off the high post the LED was on and then repositioned the light lower on the base to reduce the overall height.

IMG_20160724_165221

Tealight

IMG_20160724_165535

Tealight Disassembled

IMG_20160724_165818

Mounting Post Removed

IMG_20160724_170003

LED Repositioned

I then took a 50mm Renedra plastic base and traced a circle slightly smaller than the diameter of the “guts” of the tealight. The inner circle was cut away and the remaining washer shape was painted black. I snapped the inner workings of the tealight into the opening and as the fit was snug enough, I opted to not use any adhesive. The bottom of the Reaper Wall of Fire was drilled out to receive the LED. Again the fit was tight enough to not require any adhesive.

IMG_20160724_170412

Renedra Base

IMG_20160724_191654

Trimmed Base with Light Installed

IMG_20160724_192831

Reaper Wall of Fire Added

To cover up the light mechanics, I hot glued some fiber fill around the perimeter. Prior to affixing it I colored it with various shades of ink. As a final touch I attached some self adhesive bumpers to act as feet. This gives enough clearance for the switch and allows it to sit level on the table.

IMG_20160724_202120

Fiber Fill

IMG_20160724_203322

Feet

Here’s a quick clip of it in action.


German DAK Vehicles – Part II

Took advantage of a gloomy rainy day to put the finishing touches on a Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. C for my Afrika Korps. This is the Warlord plastic kit that I received for my birthday a few years ago. Markings are from Archer and Warlord.


German DAK Vehicles – Part I

A few weeks ago we started our Mediterranean Bolt Action League at Huzzah. Instead of being smart and playing Americans, an army I can field with zero work, I decided to run DAK, an army I hadn’t even started.

Here are the first group of vehicles I completed. A motorcycle/sidecar combo from Warlord, a Panzer III from Rubicon and Rommel’s 250/3 Greif from Perry. The markings on the 250/3 are from Company B.


German Staff Car and Sd.Kfz. 250 (Neu)

Last weekend I put the finishing touches on this die-cast German Staff Car that had been sitting around for several months in a partially finished state. It was a toy that I bought years ago when Walmart was carrying a small line of 1/48 WWII vehicles. It may be from 21st Century Toys.

I unscrewed the body from the chassis, removed the clear plastic windows, and gave it a fresh paint job as it was gray with green camouflage. I then added some new markings from Archer and Peddinghaus, and finished it of with Vallejo Premium Matt Varnish.

IMG_20160421_150407

Last weekend also saw me sneak in another session of The Game of Kings – Chain of Command. The German support list has a nifty 4 man recon group with a 250. I wanted to field it, but didn’t have a 250 that I was particularly fond of. I did however have a 250 Neu from Blitzkrieg that was unfinished. In record turn-around time (for me) I finished this thing in about two hours, not counting drying time. Markings are from Rubicon and Archer.

IMG_20160421_150739


FIW Colonial Settlers

A few gamers at the store have been selling others on the merits of Army Painter Quickshade, so I decided to give it a try. I need a little more practice with it, but overall I’m fairly pleased. In general it won’t produce any award winning masterpieces, but it is great for getting “line troops” finished up.

My first use was on these colonial settlers for Muskets & Tomahawks. They are a mix of Conquest and Old Glory figures. Not the best, but good enough for the tabletop.


Giant Monster Gaming – Godzilla

I’m going to try some giant monster gaming with my son and have started to gather a few of the combatants. The owner of my FLGS was kind enough to part with this collectible Godzilla. I glued some sand and scale railroad ballast to the base, then dry brushed it with some grays. More to come…

IMG_20160421_150342


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 136 other followers

%d bloggers like this: