Monthly Archives: July 2016

Aberdeen Army Ordnance Museum

Back in ’04 I stopped at the Army Ordnance Museum in Aberdeen, now relocating to Fort Lee. I’ve been migrating my photos to the cloud and stumbled on these today. The image should link to an album…should…

Aberdeen_08022004_0032-COLLAGE

 

Advertisements

Malifaux Flame Wall Markers

Embarrassingly this is my first update in almost two months – busy Summer. At the very least I have articles to write about my trials and tribulations with 3D printing, my experiences at Historicon this year and the new direction I’m heading with my Lovecraftian convention game. All in due time loyal readers, all in due time. Meanwhile here’s a writeup about some flame wall markers I made for Malifaux.

Reaper had a booth in the vendor’s hall at Historicon and I couldn’t resist picking up a few packs of the translucent Bones figures, including their Wall of Fire. I used a tealight before to light up their Ghostly Summons, so I thought I’d try the same trick with some of these new pieces. Stand by for future illuminating posts…get it…

I started with a typical battery operated flickering tealight. After disassembling the housing, I trimmed off the high post the LED was on and then repositioned the light lower on the base to reduce the overall height.

IMG_20160724_165221

Tealight

IMG_20160724_165535

Tealight Disassembled

IMG_20160724_165818

Mounting Post Removed

IMG_20160724_170003

LED Repositioned

I then took a 50mm Renedra plastic base and traced a circle slightly smaller than the diameter of the “guts” of the tealight. The inner circle was cut away and the remaining washer shape was painted black. I snapped the inner workings of the tealight into the opening and as the fit was snug enough, I opted to not use any adhesive. The bottom of the Reaper Wall of Fire was drilled out to receive the LED. Again the fit was tight enough to not require any adhesive.

IMG_20160724_170412

Renedra Base

IMG_20160724_191654

Trimmed Base with Light Installed

IMG_20160724_192831

Reaper Wall of Fire Added

To cover up the light mechanics, I hot glued some fiber fill around the perimeter. Prior to affixing it I colored it with various shades of ink. As a final touch I attached some self adhesive bumpers to act as feet. This gives enough clearance for the switch and allows it to sit level on the table.

IMG_20160724_202120

Fiber Fill

IMG_20160724_203322

Feet

Here’s a quick clip of it in action.


%d bloggers like this: