In preparing for my Sharp Practice games I’ll be running at Historicon, I finished off some animals that I had stashed. Being a sucker for adding small details to my gaming boards, many of these will fit the bill. There’s a hodgepodge of manufacturers here: Reaper, Warbases, Iron Wind Metals, Pulp Figures and the highly recommended farm animal set from Pegasus.
Embarrassingly this is my first update in almost two months – busy Summer. At the very least I have articles to write about my trials and tribulations with 3D printing, my experiences at Historicon this year and the new direction I’m heading with my Lovecraftian convention game. All in due time loyal readers, all in due time. Meanwhile here’s a writeup about some flame wall markers I made for Malifaux.
Reaper had a booth in the vendor’s hall at Historicon and I couldn’t resist picking up a few packs of the translucent Bones figures, including their Wall of Fire. I used a tealight before to light up their Ghostly Summons, so I thought I’d try the same trick with some of these new pieces. Stand by for future illuminating posts…get it…
I started with a typical battery operated flickering tealight. After disassembling the housing, I trimmed off the high post the LED was on and then repositioned the light lower on the base to reduce the overall height.
Mounting Post Removed
I then took a 50mm Renedra plastic base and traced a circle slightly smaller than the diameter of the “guts” of the tealight. The inner circle was cut away and the remaining washer shape was painted black. I snapped the inner workings of the tealight into the opening and as the fit was snug enough, I opted to not use any adhesive. The bottom of the Reaper Wall of Fire was drilled out to receive the LED. Again the fit was tight enough to not require any adhesive.
Trimmed Base with Light Installed
Reaper Wall of Fire Added
To cover up the light mechanics, I hot glued some fiber fill around the perimeter. Prior to affixing it I colored it with various shades of ink. As a final touch I attached some self adhesive bumpers to act as feet. This gives enough clearance for the switch and allows it to sit level on the table.
Here’s a quick clip of it in action.
A while ago I purchased these 30mm outside diameter/25mm inside diameter colored plastic rings to use for status markers for 28mm miniatures. The majority of my singly based 28mm miniatures are on round 25mm bases with steel bottoms. With this in mind I took 30mm bases, attached self adhesive magnetic sheet to the tops, and then glued the rings on. This ended up working well as the magnetic attraction is enough that the markers won’t fall off when the minis are moved, yet they are still easy to disconnect without fouling up the basing. Hopefully I’ll never need more than ten as I cannot recall where I purchased them…