As in my previous post where I’ve told myself that after every convention I’m going to write a report, I also promise myself that I’m going to finish everything I acquired before I move on to something else. This too has never happened, however I’m going to try very hard to make that happen this time. Considering my relative minimum purchases, this should be an achievable goal.
Here’s the first build/paint from my Historicon haul – the 28mm Waco Glider from Sarissa Precision. This was a pretty straight forward build, although I should have paid attention to lessons from the past and scored some of the paper parts before folding them. I added some card stock in a few locations to cover up some of the slots and tabs.
The paint job consisted of an overall color of olive drab and hand painted invasion stripes on the wings and rear fuselage. The orders for pre-Overlord invasion stripes didn’t come to troop carrying units until June 3rd, so needless to say many of these jobs were rushed. I’ve seen photographs of varying quality of these, so I marked mine out and painted them by hand to give the effect of an “average” job. Decals are from my stash.
Back in ’04 I stopped at the Army Ordnance Museum in Aberdeen, now relocating to Fort Lee. I’ve been migrating my photos to the cloud and stumbled on these today. The image should link to an album…should…
Took advantage of a gloomy rainy day to put the finishing touches on a Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. C for my Afrika Korps. This is the Warlord plastic kit that I received for my birthday a few years ago. Markings are from Archer and Warlord.
A few weeks ago we started our Mediterranean Bolt Action League at Huzzah. Instead of being smart and playing Americans, an army I can field with zero work, I decided to run DAK, an army I hadn’t even started.
Here are the first group of vehicles I completed. A motorcycle/sidecar combo from Warlord, a Panzer III from Rubicon and Rommel’s 250/3 Greif from Perry. The markings on the 250/3 are from Company B.
Last weekend I put the finishing touches on this die-cast German Staff Car that had been sitting around for several months in a partially finished state. It was a toy that I bought years ago when Walmart was carrying a small line of 1/48 WWII vehicles. It may be from 21st Century Toys.
I unscrewed the body from the chassis, removed the clear plastic windows, and gave it a fresh paint job as it was gray with green camouflage. I then added some new markings from Archer and Peddinghaus, and finished it of with Vallejo Premium Matt Varnish.
Last weekend also saw me sneak in another session of The Game of Kings – Chain of Command. The German support list has a nifty 4 man recon group with a 250. I wanted to field it, but didn’t have a 250 that I was particularly fond of. I did however have a 250 Neu from Blitzkrieg that was unfinished. In record turn-around time (for me) I finished this thing in about two hours, not counting drying time. Markings are from Rubicon and Archer.
This month my FLGS is starting an Eastern Front campaign for Bolt Action. I decided to loosely base my force on the 7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen. Most of the vehicles in their OOB were repurposed captured equipment, so I chose an FAI Russian armored car and a Flammpanzer B2(f) – a converted French Char B1 bis – for my list. Both of these kits are from Warlord.
I made a last minute change to my French list for this week’s Early War Bolt Action tournament, and decided to finish my Char B1 Bis. This was a very quick turnaround – about four hours not counting prep, priming and drying time. I brush painted it with Vallejo acrylics and weathered it with acrylic washes. The markings are from Warlord and I-94 Enterprises.