With no looming GM deadline until July, I decided to work on whatever struck my fancy this month. Here’s my scatterbrained results.
Tag Archives: Wargaming
Lately I’ve been trying to finish up my WWII platoons that are in a partially finished state, so I started with some low hanging fruit by completing my Early War French. By “completed” I mean that I have no unpainted French left in the house. I’d like to add in some motorcycles now that they are available, but I digress. Here’s a photo dump.
So finally I finished up the impetus for this project – the Brigade Games U Boat.
Being a gaming piece first and foremost I wanted it to be easy to store and transport, so decided to not go overboard (see what I did there) with the detail. I made the decision early on to leave it as a three piece affair and to magnetize as many pieces as possible.
The kit came with a single 20mm, the 8.8cm deck gun, two periscopes, an UZO pedestal and the posts for the railing at the aft of the conning tower. Surprisingly missing were the iconic (to me) horseshoe shaped life rings. I was able to find some 1/48th scale ones on Shapeways along with a more detailed UZO and a circular range finder.
Assembly of the guns was pretty straight forward, and I magnetized the bases of these along with the periscopes and the UZO. I then used some solder to create the aft railing. I affixed the life rings but decided to leave off the RF antenna. It was housed in a box and I didn’t want to sacrifice any more real estate in the conning tower as I wanted to cram some based figures in there.
After that it was a matter of firing up the airbrush and giving it a coat of paint. The markings are hand painted and are my interpretation of the U-201 coat of arms and snowmen.
Additionally I scabbed together a couple of gangplanks from basswood strips. The rubber dinghy is from Bandai and the supplies are from the scrap box.
Finally I’ll put the finishing touches on the figures for the orders of battle and gin up a few play aids.
We finally had a short break in the weather, so I was able to fire up the airbrush and finish the Opel Blitz and the sea wall. The truck is from Rubicon and built straight from the box.
I created the sea wall by 3D printing the stone cap pieces which I then affixed to lengths of 90 degree angled styrene. I then created the wall by cutting sections of G-scale corrugated sheet and gluing them to the angled pieces. The backside of the plastic sheeting had the shape I wanted for the wall corrugations. The dock cleats are an O-scale model railroading product. I may circle back and airbrush the stonework a bit more if I have enough time.
Up next I’ll start working on the U Boat.
Happy New Year everyone. I was able to work a little over the holidays to add some details to the board.
I’m sure it’s somewhat hypothetical, but I wanted a cart with some torpedoes on it. I took a chance and bought a Sarissa Bomb Trailer Set in the hopes that I could modify it to fit some 1/48th scale resin torpedoes I found. Thankfully it worked out pretty well. I only had to shift the cradle pieces up a bit to accommodate the length of the torpedoes. The “fish” are probably meant to be for aircraft, but they work for me.
To add some more weapon supplies to the dock I ginned up these mines. Again not very historically accurate, but that’s okay by me. I took some bits and whatnot from around the house and painted them up. I have an Opel Blitz that I’m going to put these in, but it has been so cold here that I am unable to airbrush in the garage.
Up next I’ll start working on the sea wall and some electrical poles.
My new compressor showed up so I was able to complete the storage shed. It’s a Things From the Basement kit, and I built it straight out of the bag. The miscellaneous supplies are from various sources. The pallets and cable reels are from Things From the Basement, the fuel drums are from Tamiya, the stack of sacks and the grey boxes came out of my 1/35 scrap box, the bundle of crates and barrels are from Grand Manner, the other crates are 4Ground and the single barrels are pre-paints from an unknown source.
Next up, the harbor crane.
I had a few moments this weekend to devote to finishing up the “non-dock” part of the board. Wanting something to delineate the commercial/residential area from the mooring area, I painted up a few sections of walls from Charlie Foxtrot. I also added in a checkpoint from 4Ground and some sandbag sections that I believe are from Warlord.
Also I added in a few more detail pieces. The doghouse is from Warbases and the small stack of newspapers is some parchment paper glued together, painted and then soaked in the bottom of my afternoon tea for a few minutes. Thanks to my friend Richard of Warpstone Pile for sharing his technique for the newspapers.
While I’m waiting on a new air compressor to show up, I’ll be working on some detail pieces for the mooring area.