I have a new 28mm WWII Polish Campaign project I’m starting and I needed to clean off my workspace. This group of “stuff” has been sitting around partially finished, so I spent some time completing it. There are some pre-paints in here – some I repainted, some I lacked the motivation to update, so those were just rebased.
Tag Archives: Pulp
A few years ago my friend John asked me to be his ringer – a back up player in case of an odd number of participants – for a Bolt Action tournament he was running at either Fall In or Cold Wars…I don’t remember. Anyway I ended up playing and for my participation I was given this very cool Warlord Anti-Tank Obstacles box. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I finally finished it up. The Dragon’s Teeth are mounted on 40mm squares to make them “modular”.
The Lardies mounted their station on a hexagonal base that was made of carved foam. Knowing how bad I am with foam work, I decided to design my base using Tinkercad and print it using my Printrbot Play. It’s hard to see in this picture, but this print has some very bad horizontal banding (for those that know anything about 3D printing it was caused by a sinusoidal heat fluctuation in the hot end) however it ended up being a happy accident as it kinda gives the effect of marks left by a concrete form.
I mounted the hex to a rectangular base and covered the horizontal surfaces with sand.
Prior to assembly, I traced the outer ring of the dish and the roof of the shack onto some card stock to use to cover the seams where some of the parts join.
Construction of the building was straight forward. Before adding the roof, I painted the interior and added a map, propaganda poster and a calendar to the walls. In hindsight this was a waste as you really can’t see into the building.
After the framework of the dish was built I added some mesh using some sort of nylon that probably came from a bag of mints from a wedding. I don’t know what it’s called, but the material is pretty common.
To complete the dish I glued some styrene strips along the interior frames and capped the outside with the trimmed card stock ring.
Before mounting the building I wanted to finish the base so I added a few things from the parts bin – a box, drum and a bicycle from Dixon.
Here are a few shots of the finished base.
And here’s the finished piece. The voltage warning signs are printed images from online, mounted on the scrap pieces that came out of the window panes and the railing is a bent paperclip (both ideas stolen from the Lardies). The steps are from Grandt Line.
This was a fun little build of a unique subject and I’m really happy with the results. I’d highly recommend the Sarissa kit if you’re in the market for an interesting objective.
I happened to have a bunch of pulpiness on the workbench that got completed around the same time, so here’s a gallery of my efforts.
Total impulse buy at Historicon, but when I saw this thing from Pulp Figures I “had” to have it. It’s already been put to use as a moveable deployment point in Sharp Practice. It’s a great sculpt. Everyone should have one, even if you don’t have a use for it.
With less than two weeks to go before this goes live at Cold Wars, I finished up the collection of “bad guys”. Enjoy the rogues gallery.