A tired joke for sure but hey, it’s early in the week.
A friend of mine graciously donated this Old Glory ship to me when he moved back to the West Coast. I hung on to it as I have a scenario for the French and Indian War involving a docked French ship, and as Sharp Practice has rekindled my interest in the period, I decided to slap some paint on her. I do have the ship’s cannon, but as they aren’t needed for the scenario I put them away for the time being.
I happened to have a bunch of pulpiness on the workbench that got completed around the same time, so here’s a gallery of my efforts.
Reaper Well of Doom
Sgt. Major Monks with Guns (rough castings here)
Sgt. Major Orthodox Clergy with Guns
Reaper Water Weird with Tealight
Total impulse buy at Historicon, but when I saw this thing from Pulp Figures I “had” to have it. It’s already been put to use as a moveable deployment point in Sharp Practice. It’s a great sculpt. Everyone should have one, even if you don’t have a use for it.
Took advantage of a gloomy rainy day to put the finishing touches on a Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. C for my Afrika Korps. This is the Warlord plastic kit that I received for my birthday a few years ago. Markings are from Archer and Warlord.
A few weeks ago we started our Mediterranean Bolt Action League at Huzzah. Instead of being smart and playing Americans, an army I can field with zero work, I decided to run DAK, an army I hadn’t even started.
Here are the first group of vehicles I completed. A motorcycle/sidecar combo from Warlord, a Panzer III from Rubicon and Rommel’s 250/3 Greif from Perry. The markings on the 250/3 are from Company B.
Last weekend I put the finishing touches on this die-cast German Staff Car that had been sitting around for several months in a partially finished state. It was a toy that I bought years ago when Walmart was carrying a small line of 1/48 WWII vehicles. It may be from 21st Century Toys.
I unscrewed the body from the chassis, removed the clear plastic windows, and gave it a fresh paint job as it was gray with green camouflage. I then added some new markings from Archer and Peddinghaus, and finished it of with Vallejo Premium Matt Varnish.
Last weekend also saw me sneak in another session of The Game of Kings – Chain of Command. The German support list has a nifty 4 man recon group with a 250. I wanted to field it, but didn’t have a 250 that I was particularly fond of. I did however have a 250 Neu from Blitzkrieg that was unfinished. In record turn-around time (for me) I finished this thing in about two hours, not counting drying time. Markings are from Rubicon and Archer.
A few gamers at the store have been selling others on the merits of Army Painter Quickshade, so I decided to give it a try. I need a little more practice with it, but overall I’m fairly pleased. In general it won’t produce any award winning masterpieces, but it is great for getting “line troops” finished up.
My first use was on these colonial settlers for Muskets & Tomahawks. They are a mix of Conquest and Old Glory figures. Not the best, but good enough for the tabletop.