Lately I’ve been trying to finish up my WWII platoons that are in a partially finished state, so I started with some low hanging fruit by completing my Early War French. By “completed” I mean that I have no unpainted French left in the house. I’d like to add in some motorcycles now that they are available, but I digress. Here’s a photo dump.
Tag Archives: 28mm
In preparing for my Sharp Practice games I’ll be running at Historicon, I finished off some animals that I had stashed. Being a sucker for adding small details to my gaming boards, many of these will fit the bill. There’s a hodgepodge of manufacturers here: Reaper, Warbases, Iron Wind Metals, Pulp Figures and the highly recommended farm animal set from Pegasus.
Now that my Cold Wars tasks have been completed for a few weeks, I’ve been leisurely finishing up some unfinished in progress things that have been laying around.
The T-Rex is from Jeff Valent Studios, which I believe is now defunct. I think I bought this at Fall In! in Gettysburg, if that gives you any idea of how long I’ve been carting it around.
These 18th century civilians are from Foundry. I plan on using these for Sharp Practice and Legends of the High Seas.
This group is from Conquest Miniatures and includes a Jesuit Priest, a French de la Marine officer and the Last of the Mohicans set. I did a poor job with Alice – I seem to have captured her likeness “post waterfall”.
West Wind makes this Kubelwagen, but I’m not sure where the driver came from. The SS are mostly Warlord plastics with a metal figure from…Battle Honors maybe…
We finally had a short break in the weather, so I was able to fire up the airbrush and finish the Opel Blitz and the sea wall. The truck is from Rubicon and built straight from the box.
I created the sea wall by 3D printing the stone cap pieces which I then affixed to lengths of 90 degree angled styrene. I then created the wall by cutting sections of G-scale corrugated sheet and gluing them to the angled pieces. The backside of the plastic sheeting had the shape I wanted for the wall corrugations. The dock cleats are an O-scale model railroading product. I may circle back and airbrush the stonework a bit more if I have enough time.
Up next I’ll start working on the U Boat.
Happy New Year everyone. I was able to work a little over the holidays to add some details to the board.
I’m sure it’s somewhat hypothetical, but I wanted a cart with some torpedoes on it. I took a chance and bought a Sarissa Bomb Trailer Set in the hopes that I could modify it to fit some 1/48th scale resin torpedoes I found. Thankfully it worked out pretty well. I only had to shift the cradle pieces up a bit to accommodate the length of the torpedoes. The “fish” are probably meant to be for aircraft, but they work for me.
To add some more weapon supplies to the dock I ginned up these mines. Again not very historically accurate, but that’s okay by me. I took some bits and whatnot from around the house and painted them up. I have an Opel Blitz that I’m going to put these in, but it has been so cold here that I am unable to airbrush in the garage.
Up next I’ll start working on the sea wall and some electrical poles.
When I started laying out this board in my head I knew I was going to want to fill up some space by the mooring location with something other than a building. I thought some sort of crane would be visually interesting and tie in with a few other bits I was planning on having in the vicinity.
I wanted something that was good and tall – a good place for an MG team or a sniper. Also I wasn’t too concerned with historical accuracy, looking for something that would fit in an Alistair MacLean story. Not having much faith in my scratchbuilding skills I was delighted to find this Things from the Basement kit at Fall In. It’s a bit modern but I figured I could change it a bit.
I built the base and the rails straight form the kit, only adding some sand texture to the platform.
I ended up taking quite a few liberties with the cab using some various kit and spare parts. Here’s what I came up with. I’m not sure if the physics would work for the winch, but visually I like it.
Here it is almost complete. I have some cable and a hook to add, but am waiting to complete other things before I commit to the length.
Next up I’ll be working on a few vehicles, some u-boat mines and a torpedo cart.
I had a few moments this weekend to devote to finishing up the “non-dock” part of the board. Wanting something to delineate the commercial/residential area from the mooring area, I painted up a few sections of walls from Charlie Foxtrot. I also added in a checkpoint from 4Ground and some sandbag sections that I believe are from Warlord.
Also I added in a few more detail pieces. The doghouse is from Warbases and the small stack of newspapers is some parchment paper glued together, painted and then soaked in the bottom of my afternoon tea for a few minutes. Thanks to my friend Richard of Warpstone Pile for sharing his technique for the newspapers.
While I’m waiting on a new air compressor to show up, I’ll be working on some detail pieces for the mooring area.