Category Archives: Terrain

Pulps-A-Go-Go

I happened to have a bunch of pulpiness on the workbench that got completed around the same time, so here’s a gallery of my efforts.

 

Advertisements

Malifaux Flame Wall Markers

Embarrassingly this is my first update in almost two months – busy Summer. At the very least I have articles to write about my trials and tribulations with 3D printing, my experiences at Historicon this year and the new direction I’m heading with my Lovecraftian convention game. All in due time loyal readers, all in due time. Meanwhile here’s a writeup about some flame wall markers I made for Malifaux.

Reaper had a booth in the vendor’s hall at Historicon and I couldn’t resist picking up a few packs of the translucent Bones figures, including their Wall of Fire. I used a tealight before to light up their Ghostly Summons, so I thought I’d try the same trick with some of these new pieces. Stand by for future illuminating posts…get it…

I started with a typical battery operated flickering tealight. After disassembling the housing, I trimmed off the high post the LED was on and then repositioned the light lower on the base to reduce the overall height.

IMG_20160724_165221

Tealight

IMG_20160724_165535

Tealight Disassembled

IMG_20160724_165818

Mounting Post Removed

IMG_20160724_170003

LED Repositioned

I then took a 50mm Renedra plastic base and traced a circle slightly smaller than the diameter of the “guts” of the tealight. The inner circle was cut away and the remaining washer shape was painted black. I snapped the inner workings of the tealight into the opening and as the fit was snug enough, I opted to not use any adhesive. The bottom of the Reaper Wall of Fire was drilled out to receive the LED. Again the fit was tight enough to not require any adhesive.

IMG_20160724_170412

Renedra Base

IMG_20160724_191654

Trimmed Base with Light Installed

IMG_20160724_192831

Reaper Wall of Fire Added

To cover up the light mechanics, I hot glued some fiber fill around the perimeter. Prior to affixing it I colored it with various shades of ink. As a final touch I attached some self adhesive bumpers to act as feet. This gives enough clearance for the switch and allows it to sit level on the table.

IMG_20160724_202120

Fiber Fill

IMG_20160724_203322

Feet

Here’s a quick clip of it in action.


(Another) Fleece Terrain Mat

Recently Walmart Photo temporarly reduced their price on their fleece photo blankets, so I had another large one printed from a cobblestone street map I had previously purchased at Wargame Vault. My wife and I squared it up and trimmed it to 4’x6′, and while I had it out I set up a town with my Grand Manner buildings to see how it would look. Here are the results.


Pitching Some Tents

Quite some time ago I painted these tents from Renedra with the intent of using them in Pulp and 18th Century North American gaming. They’ve never seen a table, so I thought that if I mounted them maybe then I’d be more apt to use them as terrain pieces/objectives – we’ll see. I simply flocked some wooden discs and rectangles from the craft store for the bases. The campfires are from Renedra and I believe that the muskets are from Conquest Miniatures.

Renedra Tents


Metalled Roads

I made these quite a while ago, but neglected to post them. I picked up a pack of inexpensive roofing shingles, cut them with a utility knife, and flocked the edges. Like the dirt roads these ended up being very cost effective. I only used about half of the pack and made 30 pieces 3.75″ wide, totalling ~22′.


Family Assisted Terrain

Sunday the kids and I spent a little time polishing off a few terrain items. My daughter helped “plant” the vegetation in this garden piece:

Fenced Garden

and my son helped me flock these craft sticks to use as runners along my dirt roads.

Road Edging - 1

Road Edging - 2


Fleece Dirt Roads

To accompany my fleece grassland mat, I followed a similar procedure to create these dirt roads. I photoshopped a set of images from Wargame Vault and had them printed on a 50″ x 60″ fleece blanket using Walmart Photo. After cutting them out I ended up with 36 pieces 3.5″ wide, totalling ~ 24′. The downsides are the lack of texture and the white fleece showing on the sides, however I’m willing to put up with those small shortcomings for the cost effectiveness and the flexibility. They also look great in context with other terrain on the board.


%d bloggers like this: